You know that keeping your carpets clean can make a great contribution to keeping your home looking fabulous! Here are some tips you can follow to keep your carpets looking good even longer:
- Remove your shoes – You know which of your friends ask you to take off your shoes at the door. There is good reason they live that way. By removing your shoes as you enter your home, you are not bringing any dirt from the outside into your home. Having a mat by the front and/or back doors, to place your shoes on, will prevent you from bringing in dirt just to take off your shoes.
- Stain Resistant Material – Most new carpets come with a stain resistant treatment already applied. If your carpet was not treated to be stain resistant, take a can of Scotch-Guard and apply it to your carpet. It won’t prevent all stains, but will help protect your carpet from some of it.
- Vacuum – To keep the dust of the world off your carpets, the best answer is to vacuum. Vacuum every day, or every other day. By removing the dirt, you might not even see, you prevent it from settling at the bottom of the carpet.
- Other Floors – What about the other floors? Sweep up any and all debris from your floors as often as you vacuum your carpet, every day or every other day. Once a week, mop your floors. Food and other debris that remains on these floors can easily get stuck to your socks or feet and spread to the carpet. This mess from the inside could make quite a stain.
- Spills – Spills happen. Clean them up quickly, so they won’t have a chance to set. Using a clean towel, dab up any liquid. Do not rub the carpet, as that could help a stain set. If you see you didn’t completely remove it, reach for your home carpet cleaners, powder or spray can, and follow the manufacturer’s directions. Another approach, after blotting up any liquid, is to apply a mixture of cup of salt and ¼ cup of white vinegar to the spot. Let it sit for a few minutes, then vacuum up. If that doesn’t remove all of the stain, try mixing cup of salt with ¼ cup hydrogen peroxide, and applying. Hydrogen peroxide can interfere with the carpets color, so test on a small area before applying.
- Dust and Vacuum Furniture – There is a top down approach to cleaning. By dusting you will keep the dust off your belongings. Once a week while vacuuming, vacuum your upholstered furniture. You will keep dust and dirt in the house on the carpet and floors, where it will get swept up or vacuumed.
- Traffic Area – You could lay down plastic carpet runner, in your high traffic areas. Be aware, the ones with latex undersides can cause yellowing to lighter colored carpets. These are a preventive approach if you have children or pets.
It is a good idea to have professional carpet cleaners clean the carpets every 18 to 24 months. This will help maintain your carpet’s cleanliness, and will make your investment last.