You take pride in your home, and you want it to shine. Cleaning your carpet should be the first and most important step to achieving this. Whether you have a few spots or need all of your carpeting cleaned, there are options. From commercially prepared cleaners, to natural cleaners, your carpets will shine once again.
If you have some spots on your carpet, cleaning just the spots might be just what you need. Knowing what created the stain will help you in finding the right product.
Best Commercial Products For Home Use
Before you actually use any product on your carpet, always test it out first on an inconspicuous area to make sure the dye won’t lift with the cleaner. Without checking, you could remove the stain as well as the color.
If the dye lifts, call a professional for help. Don’t try to fix it yourself unless you know what you are doing, or you may end up making it worse.
Here are some product recommendations for common messes and stains:
- Red Wine: Good Housekeeping states that Wine Out cleaned up the best of all of their choices. Their second choice is Wine B’ Gone, which also removes coffee, tea and other stains.
- Spaghetti Sauce: Martha Stewart Clean Carpet Stain Remover does a good job removing spaghetti sauce and other similar stains, as does Fuller HyperOx Carpet & Fabric Spotter.
- Set in Chocolate Sauce: Hope’s Perfect Carpet Instant Spot Remover does a good job of removing already set stains of chocolate sauce, and a good job of removing most other similar stains.
- All around Stain Cleaner: Woolite OxyDeep PowerShot Spot & Stain Carpet Cleaner. Cleans most stains. May take more than one try for certain stains, like red wine.
If you’re concerned about the products you might be using on your carpet, you’re not alone. This is why there are also natural cleaners that will not leave hazardous fumes/residues behind, which is super important when you have pets and/or children in your home.
- Baking soda: If you didn’t already know, baking soda is not only a great cleaner, but it is a great deodorizer too. Shake it on, and vacuum up. It doesn’t really matter how long you let it sit before vacuuming.
- Begley’s Household Stain & Odor Remover: This natural solution can remove a variety of stain and odors, including pet odors and spilled milk.
- Natural Stain & Odor Remover: This cleaner can remove blood, food stains and pet messes.
- Biokleen Carpet & Rug Shampoo: Used with a carpet cleaning machine, this plant-based cleaner will not damage your carpet backing or pads.
A point to consider: You never want to get your carpet wet, as it could damage the backing, or transfer the color to your flooring underneath.
Whether you have a stain to clean, or more generally, a carpet that needs cleaning, having something that will work for you, your home and your family is important. No matter which of these products you choose, your carpets will be cleaner, and your pride in your home restored.