Mopping a floor is a considerable chore–and a bit of a bore–but if you’ve ever tried a steam mop, you may change your mind.
Instead of using a bucket full of dirty water and a mop with a head that may simply be spreading that dirty water around on your floors, a steam mop will typically clean up your mess and disinfect the area in addition.
The Best Use of Your Mop
Maintenance cleaning and disinfecting is, and should be your primary use. Typical wear and tear, along with your standard floor soiling, can easily be handled by just about any steam mop. Here are some other great advantages you gain by using one:
- No dirty water to deal with, only a pad that will need to be washed eventually.
- Minimal physical effort as there is no wringing of the mop head, bending, or stooping.
- No chemicals! Some cleaners are heavy on the chemical smells and leave residue on your floors.
- Disinfecting surfaces that normally aren’t. Imagine how much healthier your living spaces will be when a large percentage of bacteria is killed by the hot steam exceeding 200 degrees: http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/185319.php
Pre-cleaning is Always a Smart Move
If you have a really big spill such as an entire gallon of milk or a jug of cranberry juice, of course it makes sense to blot up as much liquid as possible using towels or paper towels. Even a standard mop will struggle to soak up so much liquid. Once you’ve got the bulk of the mess managed is when you want to introduce your steam cleaner. Cleaning it up this way will allow you to take full advantage of what your mop has to offer.
The Best Mop to Buy
There are two basic styles of steam mops to choose between; one sided pad and two sided pad mops. Of course, being able to flip the mop head around to use the clean side once the first side is dirty is a big convenience, so this is my first choice. Besides that, you’ll simply need to choose the one that’s the right weight for you and has the accessories you’re looking for.
Here’s how you can make sure that you’re buying the best steam mop that’s suitable for you:
- Take a look at the floors you plan to clean. Are there any special accessories you might need?
- Decide how much floor space will be cleaned and be sure to purchase enough extra pads so you won’t have to wash and wait to continue your cleaning.
- Visit your local appliance store and actually handle a few steam mops. See which one feels the best. Since most of these mops are fairly equal in their cleaning abilities, you can focus more on weight and accessories.
- Finally, price shop and compare the online stores with your local stores. Many times, the establishment down the street will price match anything online so you can buy from them immediately and avoid high shipping costs–and also have a place to take the unit back if there are any issues.
Some of the best units come from the bigger name companies such as BISSELL, Hoover, Eureka, and Shark. I tend to like the Shark units for their light weight and easy-to-replace cleaning pads. Not having to stick to a specific unit when shopping for the right mop will make for a much easier time as you find the perfect one.